CR-1a Communications Receiver
Now with I-Q Data & Radio controls via USB & basic 200kHz Spectrum-Scope PC GUI
Just released, the CR-1a has two additional features detailed above. With fully disclosed Interface Protocol for 3rd party developers and even has a Spectral Display when hooked up to a PC - if needed. The CR-1a SDR is a small, low-power, ruggedly constructed radio receiver that is finding a niche in the world of SWL’s (short wave listeners) and amateur radio enthusiasts alike. Not only does it cover the Shortwave frequencies but FM Broadcast, Airband & VHF/UHF too, albeit at reduced sensitivity and performance (see specs below). It's even got a built-in Li-Ion battery pack allowing true portability for up to eight hours of use. (Even more using headphones).
The company behind it are designers of miniature wideband signal intelligence receivers, developed for special-operations units, and rugged business-jet data-link transceivers. How good is that?
The CR-1 SDR is independent of a host PC, using embedded digital signal processing technology providing a degree of portability and performance previously unavailable to the radio enthusiast. There are many thousands of listeners that want a modern approach to receiver design without the complexity, cost and PC-only driven products available on the market today.
As one potential customer noted: “It’s an SDR with knobs, keys, and a display!” We couldn't agree more. Book mark this page and check out the video's in the tab below.
And another thing. Why the BIG FEET? When CommRadio designed this compact marvel they wanted to fit a decent speaker. So they did and by raising the body off the desk it would actually produce nice loud crisp audio. They even thought of that too.
Click here to listen to a Happy CR-1 Owner
To download a copy of the CR-1A manual please click here
For software / Firmware updates and newsletters please click here
Latest Updates for CR-1a are now available at: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u1d6hd2noubiez5/wN5i5gwQAF
All Data is Applicable to CR-1 and CR-1a Unless Otherwise Noted
Frequency Coverage and Modes:
MW-HF: General Coverage: 500 kHz - 30.000 MHz
User Configurable Band Key:
- Amateur Band Selections: 160 m – 10 m
- International Broadcast Bands: 120 m – 11 m
- AM-SSB-CW manual or auto-mode selection (based on tuned frequency)
- International Broadcasting: manual or auto-selection: 5 kHz steps
- Automatic -Filter Width select with override (manual selection)
- Tuning Resolution (cursor control): 1 MHz / 100 -10 - 1 kHz / 100 - 10 Hz
- MDS (minimum discernible signal): nominal -130 dBm in 500 Hz Bandwidth
- LW: 150 - 500 kHz is included for experimental purposes. See Hardware Limitations below.
VHF-UHF General Frequency Coverage and Performance:
- VHF: Continuous Coverage: 64.0 - 260.0 MHz
- UHF: Continuous Coverage: 437.0 - 512.0 MHz
- FM Broadcast: nominal -88 dBm in 200 kHz bandwidth
- VHF Sensitivity 108.0 - 150.0 MHz: nominal - 98 dBm (or better) for 12 dB SINAD, 15 kHz filter bandwidth (5 kHz deviation)
- UHF Sensitivity: nominal -86 to-98 dBm for 12 dB SINAD, 15 kHz filter bandwidth (5 kHz deviation)
- Standard frequency steps for each band
VHF-UHF Band Plan:
- FM Broadcast: 87.7 - 107.9 - Monaural - 5 kHz audio bandwidth (76.0 MHz International)
- Aircraft Bands: 108.000 - 136.975 MHz, AM auto-select -25 kHz channel steps
- Amateur: 2 m, 1.25 m, 70 cm (upper portion starting @ 437.0 MHz).
- NBFM mode default with SSB-CW mode selects.
- Marine & NOAA Weather Radio
- Public Service: 137.0 - 225.0: 12.5 and 25 kHz steps.
- FRS-GMRS 462 – 467 MHz , 25 kHz Steps
- General Coverage 467-512 MHz
- Note: 6 m (54 MHz) is not available.
- HF: Dual conversion (VHF-UHF: single conversion) with low -IF, I-Q digital sampling, 32-bit DSP with digital audio CODEC
- DSP demodulation algorithms: DSB-AM, SSB, CW, WBFM, NBFM
- User Selectable, DSP fixed bandwidth channel filtering selections
Audio System - Digital CODEC
- Speaker Driver: 0.8 W into 8 Ohm load
- Internal 2.5” diameter, mylar-cone communications grade speaker
- External monaural speaker jack (3.5 mm stereo jack - back panel)
- Headset Driver: 40 mW into 16 Ohms. (3.5 mm stereo jack - front panel).
- LW-MW-HF Port: 1000 Ohm – 3.5 mm jack – Retained S/N’s 601-749. Eliminated starting with S/N 750.
- LW-MW-HF Port: 50 Ohm – BNC (female)
- VHF-UHF Port: 50 Ohm – BNC (female)
- 1.5" diagonal - 64 x 128 OLED Display with EMI-filtered lens
- Readable outdoors (not in direct sunlight) and manually dimmable
- Power Jacks: Powered-USB and 6-18 VDC (2.1mm diameter-center pin (+) x 5 mm diameter barrel)
- Internal Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery 6-8 hour capacity with full speaker volume. 10-12 hours for headset and normal speaker volume.
- Both supply inputs automatically charge the optional internal battery with the radio powered ON or OFF.
- < 1.0 Watt Headset and normal speaker volume
- < 1.2 Watt maximum - full speaker volume
USB Mini-B 2.0 Jack
- Automatically charges internal battery while maintaining maximum USB power use < 2.5 Watts
- Software updates via 'Dropbox' with automated email notifications.
- CR-1a Only: I-Q data and radio controls via USB port
- CR-1a Only: CommRadio supplied basic 200 kHz Spectrum-Scope PC GUI (Graphical User Interface)
- Overall Size: 5.65” W x 2.45” H x 6.10” D (including knobs, jacks , feet)
- Weight: 1 lb. – 8 oz.
- Knobs: Machined Aluminum – Black Anodized
- Front Panel: Machined Aluminum – Powder Coated – Black Crackle.
- Case: 20 Gauge Steel, Powder Coated – Black Crackle.
ESD Protection: ESD Diodes on: Antenna port(s), Power Jacks, USB Port, Keys, and Knobs
Hardware Design Limitations:
- CR-1 only: The CR-1 is not controllable over USB.
- CR-1 only: Analog or digital IQ or IF signals are not ported to any connector.
- LW (150 kHz - 480 kHz): Designed to tune down to 500 kHz. The tuner is programmed to provide tuning to 150 kHz. However, there is no dedicated pre-selector in this range. The IF is also in this range and signals from other bands can be heard. Performance is not guaranteed in this range and is provided for experimental purposes. Good performance has been reported from one CR-1 owner who uses an external LW pre-selector.
- FCC Mark Declaration of Conformity - Part 15
- CE Mark (Europe-elsewhere)
- RoHS: No Pb (lead)
Origin & Warranty & Satisfaction Guarantee:
- Designed and manufactured in USA
- Limited 1 year warranty: parts, labor, workmanship